I’m making good progress on the Luffe mittens. In just a couple days, I’ve knit the first mitten through the increases for the thumb gusset.
I stuck with my original plan to knit the outside of the mitten in grey and black stripes. I’m making these out of Telemark, a now discontinued sport weight wool yarn by Knit Picks, which I found in my stash.
I haven’t decided on what yarn I’ll use for the lining of the mittens, but I’m guessing I can dig several suitable options out of my yarn bins and boxes.
The mittens are knit with two row stripes in the round. Knitting stripes in the round usually produces a jog at the start of the round where one color ends and another begins. Some internet research brought up many tutorials on how to avoid this. I used this one, which helped eliminate the jog, but did create the row of elongated stitches up the side of the mitten (I opted not to do the part of moving the start of the round).
The solution isn’t perfect, but is absolutely preferable to having the jog each time I switch colors.
My goal is to get these mittens completed by the end of the month. We’ll see if I make it!